Welcome to the solar permitting and information page for Park City Municipal Corporation (PCMC). We created this page to help guide solar installers and citizens through the solar permitting process. The below resources primarily deal with solar photovoltaic (PV), also known as solar electric, installations. Contact the Building Department for additional permitting information on solar thermal projects.
Is your home or business within Park City Municipal limits? Click here for a map of PCMC City Limits.
Both the Building and Planning Departments are involved in the solar permitting process. Park City has a streamlined process that requires only a single permit request to be submitted for most installations. If you're requesting to install solar panels on a historic structure or in the historic district then additional approvals may apply.
- Building Department
- Permitting (click here): Park City utilizes the Solar ABCs for permitting. A full report on the Solar ABCs, including information to assist with completing the permitting is available here. You must submit a physical copy of your application to the Building Department at City Hall at 445 Marsac Avenue in Park City.
- Net Metering (click here): All grid-connected solar installations are required to complete a Net Metering Agreement and have Rocky Mountain Power set-up the appropriate meter before receiving final project approval from Park City.
- Site Visit: Park City Building Department staff will follow an inspection checklist as part of a site visit during and/or after the solar installation process to ensure all codes have been followed.
- Costs: Renewable energy systems are eligible for a building permit fee waiver under the municipal fee schedule, section 1.2.2. Click here to download.
- Planning Department
- Zoning: Park City Planning reviews solar permits submitted to the Building Department to ensure local codes and ordinances are followed.
Historic Structures and Historic District (click here): Design Review and other applications are available in the link to the left. PCMC's Design Guidelines for Historic Districts and Historic Sites provide information relevant to solar projects. Please contact the Planning Department for questions about historic applications and processes.
- Homeowners Associations (HOAs)
- If your property is part of a HOA, check with your HOA representatives on their review and approval process before seeking final sign-off from PCMC. Your HOA may have additional rules and approvals than those required by Park City Municipal Corporation.
- Tax Credits (click here): The Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE) provides information on federal and Utah solar incentives, including tax credits.
- Rocky Mountain Power Solar Rebates (click here): Learn more about Rocky Mountain Power's solar incentive.
- Building Permit Fee Waiver (click here): Park City Municipal offers a permitting fee waiver of up to $1,000 per project.
- Estimate Energy Production (click here): U.S. Department of Energy developed the PVWatts tool to help people estimate solar production for their specific site.
- Park City Municipal Solar (click here): Park City Municipal has installed an array of solar energy projects. Visit this site for details and access to real-time energy monitoring.
- Building Department: 435.615.5100 or visit our webpage
- Planning Department: 435.615.5060 or visit our webpage
- Environmental Sustainability: 435.615.5204 or visit our webpage