Water Main Line Flushing
WHAT: Park City water mains will be getting a workout. Starting Tuesday, April 18, and throughout the following month, Park City water crews will begin flushing its water mains. Unidirectional flushing is conducted regularly to enhance water quality by removing loose particles from the water mains. Due to the nature of high-velocity flushing, parts of town may experience a light-brown discoloration. If discoloration occurs, just hold off using the water for half an hour, and then run the COLD water only until clear and then for an additional 5 minutes.
Flushing does require use of relatively large volumes of water. For this reason, the department attempts to conduct it during low-demand seasons. Pooling will occur in certain areas of town. Water crews will use best-management practices to avoid traffic disruption and adverse impacts to local streams.
- Beginning Tuesday, April 18, 2017, Park City Municipal Public Utilities will begin flushing water mains within in the city.
- Flushing will take place on Tuesday – Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and last 5-to-6 weeks.
- Flushing is an essential practice due to the build-up of deposits in the pipes.
- This flushing takes place annually.
- You will see water running down gutters into storm drains, but this is not a water main break or waste.
- Lines will be flushed citywide. We will begin in Thaynes (including the base area of Park City Resort), which will take two-to-three days, and will update as we move through the system.
For more information, please contact Public Utilities at 435.615.5305.